Au Pair in Germany – Experience The German Lifestyle

Your stay abroad is a great opportunity to spend an unforgettable time in Germany and perfect for improving your German language skills and meeting new people from all around the world.

Become an Au Pair in Germany! Here, you can find useful information on being an Au Pair in Germany, the visa, your duties and so on.

Au Pair in Germany - At A Glance

  • Age: Between 17 and 30 years old (EU citizens); or between 18 and 26 years old (non-EU citizens)
  • Duration of Stay: Between 6 and 12 months (maximum)
  • Working Hours: 30 hours per week
  • Holidays: 4 weeks of paid vacation and at least 1 1/2 days off per week
  • Travel Expenses: Your Host Family might bear some of your travel expenses
  • Insurance: Your Host Family will cover the costs for your health, accident and liability insurance
  • Pocket Money: 260€ per month + 50€/month for attending a language course
  • Visa Requirements: Citizens of an EU country do not need a visa; Citizens from a non-EU country need a visa. 

Can I become an Au Pair in Germany?

In order to become an Au Pair in Germany, you need to fulfill the following conditions:

  • You are between 17/30 and 30 years old
  • You have some knowledge of German
  • You are willing to stay for at least 6 months
  • You are healthy and don't smoke
  • Diving license and experience in childcare will be a plus

For citizens outside the EU requires may slightly vary:

  • You are between 18 and 26 years old
  • You are willing to stay for at least 10 to 12 months
  • You haven't worked as an Au Pair in Germany in the past

What are my duties as an Au Pair?

The duties and responsibilities of an Au Pair in Germany vary, depending on the Host Family's daily routine and the host children's age.
However, your main responsibility will be to take care of the children of your Host Family. Therefore, it is important that you have previous experience in child care and love spending time with children.

Besides child care, an Au Pair in Germany is also responsible for minor household chores, such as cleaning up the host children's room(s), washing and ironing the children's laundry, vacuuming, un-/loading the dishwasher or doing some minor shopping for the children.

The weekly working hours of an Au Pair in Germany are around 30 hours. However, you should not work more than 6 hours a day.
During these hours, your Host Family might also ask you to babysit on up to two evenings per week.
Should you work more than 30 hours per week (as an exception!), your Host Family needs to compensate you for the extra working time by giving you an additional day/additional hours off in the subsequent weeks.

Click here for further information about Au Pair duties in Germany.

Visa Requirements

The visa requirements for becoming an Au Pair in Germany depend on what country you come from or what citizenship you have.
Below, we have a detailed description of the visa requirements for EU citizens and citizens outside the EU.

For EU citizens

Citizens of an EU country do not need an entry visa for their trip to Germany. It is sufficient for them to travel to Germany with their valid passport or identity card.
Make sure that your ID/passport is valid for the entire duration of your stay abroad when you start planning your journey.

Citizens of one of the new EU countries are required to apply for a work permit in
order to work as an Au Pair in Germany. This applies for residents of Croatia (the regulation will apply until June 2015).
Your local ZAV in Germany (Zentrale für Auslands- Fachvermittlung) issues the work permit. You can apply at the ZAV in Bonn, Duisburg, Frankfurt on the Main or Munich.
In order to apply for your work permit, you need to present a set of the following documents:

  • Identity card or passport
  • Work permit application
  • Information sheet for Host Families
  • Registration number
  • Signed Au Pair contract (needs to be signed by your Host Family and by yourself)
  • Proof/evidence of your German language skills

Residents of an EFTA member state need to register with the local Einwohnermeldeamt (residents' registration office) in order to obtain a residence permit and an employment permit in order to be able to work as an Au Pair in Germany.
The following documents are needed for the application:

  • Identity card or passport
  • Signed Au Pair contract (needs to be signed by your Host Family and by yourself)

For non-EU citizens

Citizens from outside the EU need a visa to enter Germany. You should allow enough time for your visa to be issued.
Please note that you cannot be older than 26 years old at the time of your application.

Get into touch with your Host Family and ask them to send you the signed Au Pair contract and invitation letter via mail. They are important documents you will need in the course of your application process. Thus, allow for enough time for the contract and the invitation letter to arrive.

Once you received the necessary documents from your Host Family, you can apply for the visa.
The German Embassy will examine your knowledge of German in order to decide whether your are eligible to apply for a visa or not. Contact your local German Embassy in advance and inquire if your level of German is adequate.

If you meet all of the above-mentioned requirements, you are ready to proceed with the application process.
You need to take a set of the following documents with you to your local German Embassy when applying for the Au Pair visa:

  • Signed Au Pair contract, original (needs to be signed by you and your Host Family)
  • Invitation letter from your Host Family (original)
  • Valid passport
  • Insurance confirmation from your Host Family (by signing the invitaton letter, your Host Family agrees to taking out insurance for you)
  • Written explanation in how far your stay abroad as an Au Pair in Germany contributes to your future (career) plans

You should start working as an Au Pair for your Host Family no later than 6 months after you applied for the visa. This should also be expressed in your Au Pair contract.
The German Embasy usually needs between 6 weeks and 3 months to issue your visa.
Contact your local German Embassy and ask if further documents (such as for instance a health certificate or a police record) are required.

After your arrival in Germany, your Host Family needs to register you with the Einwohnermeldeamt (Resident's Registration Office) and the Foreigner's Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in order to obtain an electronic residence permit.
Your residence permit will be issued for three months. You need to extend it before it expires.

In addition to the residence permit, Au Pairs in Germany also need to apply for an electronic Aufenthaltstitel (an electronic residence title). In order to apply for the electronic residence title at your local Foreigner's Registration Office, you need to submit the following documents:

  • Bometric passport photograph
  • The Foreigner's Registration Office will take your fingerprints

A residence permit for one year costs approximately 100€.
The Foreigner's Registration Office needs 3 to 4 weeks for issuing the electronic residence title.

Visa Requirement Exceptions

Citizens of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan, Canada and Hong Kong can travel to Germany under the Working Holiday Maker program.
In order to obtain the Working Holiday Maker visa, you need to contact your local German Embassy so that they can provide you with the necessary information.

Canadian citizens need to be between 18 and 35 years old. Citizens from the other countries should not be younger than 18 years old and should not have turned 31 yet at the time of application.

In order to submit you application, you need to hand in the following documents:

  • Filled out application form
  • Valid passport which is still valid for at least 3 more months after the end of your stay in Germany
  • Recent biometric passport photograph
  • Evidence that you intent to return to your home country (copy of your flight ticket or reservation confirmation)
  • Evidence of medical insurance for your time abroad
  • Need to provide evidence that you have enough savings to fund your stay abroad

Nationals of Israel and the USA might enter Germany without a visa.
Nonetheless, they need to apply for an electronic residence title at the Foreigner's Registration Office (see above for further information) within the first three months upon their arrival and prior to their Au Pair placement.

How much pocket will I get?

Weekly Working Hours Paid wekekly Pocket Money
30 hours per week No 260€ per month

An Au Pair in Germany is entitled to a monthly pocket money of 260€.
In addition to your pocket money, your Host Family will also share the costs of a language class and pay 50€ per month.

Apart from that, your Host Family will also provide you with free board and lodge, meaning that they provide a room in their house and meals for you free of charge.
Therefore, you are free to spend your pocket money on leisure time activities or for traveling across Germany and its neighboring countries.

Since you are entitled to four weeks of paid vacation, at least 1 1/2 days off per week and one complete weekend off per month, you have enough time for traveling across Europe.
You can also use your leisure time for enganging in a hobby or attending a language course, which are great opportunities for meeting new people and making friends.
Your Host Family pays for your travel expenses to and from the language school. This also accounts for your travel expenses to Germany and your insurance while you are staying with them as their Au Pair.

More info about Au Pair pocket money in Germany here.

At a Glance:

  • Monthly pocket money of 260€
  • Free board and lodge
  • At least 1 1/2 days off per week
  • One complete weekend off per month
  • 4 weeks of paid vacation per year
  • Your Host Family will pay for 50€ of language course expenses per month + travel expenses to and from the language school.

How much does it cost to become an Au Pair?

Traveling as an Au Pair to Germany can be expensive.
The costs you need to expect when you become an Au Pair in Germany vary, depending on for example if you use the service of a full-serivce or an online agency, how much you need to pay for your flight ticket/what your travel
expenses will be and so forth.

At a Glance:

  • Fee for your Au Pair agency (if applicable); maximum of 150€
  • Visa application fee + costs for additional documents such as biometric passport photograph, health certificate etc. (if necessary)
  • Fee for the electronic residence title (100€/One year)
  • Travel expenses
  • Gift for your Host Family (optional)
  • Costs for attending a language course (your Host Family will bear some of the costs)
  • Your Host Family will take out a health, accident and liability insurance for you

What about my insurance?

Au Pairs in Germany do not have to be registered with the national insurance scheme in Germany.
They do need, however, a health, accident and liability insurance for the duration of your stay abroad. Your insurance needs to cover you in case of illness, pregnancy, childbirth or accident.

If you are a resident of an EU country, we recommend that you contact your local health insurance company prior to your departure and ask if your local health insurance covers you for your time in Germany as well.
If your health insurance does not cover you during your entire stay as an Au Pair in Germany (or only for some part of your stay) you need to take out an additional health, accident and liability insurance.

If you need to take out an individual private health insurance, either because your local health insurance does not cover you for your stay abroad, covers you only partially or because you are a citizen of a non-EU country, your Host Family will bear the insurance fees. They will also take out the insurance for you.

Protrip-world will help you find the perfect insurance package for you so that you won't have to worry during your whole Au Pair stay!

Au Pair Blog and Stories - Share your experience!

Have you been an Au Pair in Germany yourself and would like to share your experience with us?
We would like to hear about your experience and would appreciate it, if you shared it with us below.

Your stories about being an Au Pair in Germany help future Au Pairs to learn more about a normal day as an Au Pair in Germany and what they can look foward to.

Posted in: