Au Pair in Italy – La bella Italia is Waiting For You!

Spend an unforgettable time in Italy's largest cities such as Rome, Milan or Naples or enjoy life in one of Italy's more rural areas.

This site informs you about the requirements for becoming an Au Pair in Italy, the visa, costs, working hours, insurance etc.

Au Pair in Italy - At A Glance

  • Age: Between 18 and 30 years old
  • Duration of Stay: 6 to 12 months (the longer the better)
  • Working Hours: No more than 30 hours per week (6 days) and up to 5 hours a day
  • Holidays: 2 to 4 weeks of paid vacation per year; 1 1/2 days off per week
  • Travel Expenses: You need to bear the travel costs yourself
  • Insurance: Same as in your (European!) home country; you might need to take out an additional private health insurance
  • Pocket Money: At least 65€ per week
  • Visa Requirements: EU citizens do not need a visa; citizens of a Non-EU country need to apply for a tourist visa/student visa/residence permit.

Can I become an Au Pair in Italy?

You need to fulfill some requirements for becoming an Au Pair in Italy. You can find the requirements listed below:

  • You are between 18 and 30 years old
  • You have a basic knowledge of Italian or a good command of English
  • You are in good health and you don't smoke
  • A driving license and experience in childcare will be a plus

What are my duties as an Au Pair?

The duties and responsibilities of an Au Pair in Italy vary from host family to host family, depending on the age of the host children and their daily routine.
Your main responsibility will be to take care of your host family's children. Hence, it is important that you like to spend time with your host children and have previous experience in child care. You are (mostly) free to organize the leisure time with your host children as you like.

Another duty of an Au Pair in Italy is to do minor household duties. As you will be considered as an extended member of the host family, you also need to help out throughout the house.
Your household chores include for example to clean up the children's room(s) (with the children), to do the children's laundry, clean up and vacuum the living area or un-/load the dishwasher.
However, you are not a subsitute for a domestic help. Your main task is to look after the children of your host parents.

An Au Pair in Italy has working hours of 30 hours per week but does not work more than 5 hours per day.
During this time, your host family might also ask you to babysit on up to two evenings per week.

Check here for further info about your duties as an Au Pair in Italy.

Visa Requirements 

Whether you can enter Italy with your valid passport/ID card or need to apply for a visa depends on your citizenship.
If you are a resident of one of the EU countries, you do not need an entry visa for Italy. Citizens of non-EU countries need to apply for a visa when they organize their Au Pair stay.
You can read more about the specific regulations below.

For EU citizens

Your host family needs to hand in a "host declaration" at the local police station, confirming that you will be living with them for the entire duration of your stay.
Kindly remind your host family to do that after your arrival, as this needs to be done within 48 hours upon your arrival in Italy.

For EU citizens who stay longer than 3 months

EU citizens, who plan on staying longer than three months in Italy, need to bear a few things in mind.

First of all, you need to register at the local anagrafe (town hall) in order to apply for the right to live with your host family for the duration of your stay. The following documents need to be presented at the time of the application:

  • Evidence that you have enough savings to fund your stay
  • Proof of valid health insurance

Once your application is approved, you receive a residence certificate. This states your own name and your host family's address.

Apart from registering at the local town hall, an Au Pair in Italy needs to apply for a codice fiscale (Tax ID number) at the tax office (Agenzia delle Entrate). You need to take the following documents with you to the local tax office:

  • Valid ID or passport (one copy and the original)
  • Registration certificate (iscrizione anagrafica)

The tax offic will send you the original codice fiscale (they will hand you a copy of it immediately) together with your health insurance card via mail.

Finally, you also need to register with the SSN - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (the National Health Service in Italy) in case you did not take out an individual health insurance prior to your departure.
In order to register with the national health service, you need to go to the local health authority of your host family and present the following documents:

  • Valid ID or passport
  • Registration certificate (or other certificate proving your home address in Italy)
  • Tax ID Number

For Non-EU citizens

Citizens from outside the EU need to apply for a visa in order to become an Au Pair in Italy.

If the duration of your stay does not exceed 3 months, you might be eligible to apply for a tourist visa. Check at the website of the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs if you are eligible to apply for a tourist visa.
Don't forget to hand in the "host declaration" at your local police station.

If you are staying for more than three months, you cannot apply for a tourist visa. In this case, you would need to apply for a student visa.

Important to note here is that you need to be enrolled in an Italian language class prior to your departure. You can ask your host family to find a suitable course for you at a local language school. Make sure that your language course is approved by the Italian Embassy at which you apply for your visa. You need to attend a minimum of 20 hours per week.

To apply for the student visa, you need to take the following documents with you to the Italian Embassy:

  • Valid passport
  • Evidence for your enrollment in a language course (your language school will issue the certificate once you paid the tuition fee)
  • "Host declaration" from your host family, stating that you will be living with them for the duration of your stay
  • Proof of an health insurance for the duration of your stay abroad
  • Evidence that you have enough savings to fund your stay abroad
  • Return flight ticket or proof that you have the financial means to obtain one

Inquire at your local Italian Embassy or consulate if further documents are required.
Be aware that the language school might not refund the paid tuition fee, should your visa be denied.

After your arrival in Italy, you need to apply for a residence permit. Apply for your residence permit within eight days upon your arrival at one of the following offices:

  • Local municipality (Commune)
  • The post office
  • Patronato
  • Immigration Office (Sportello Unico per l'immigrazione)

You will need to present a set of the following documents:

  • Application form
  • Valid passport and visa (+ a copy of both)
  • 4 recent passport photographs
  • Tax stamp worth 15€

The website of the Italian national police provides helpful information on the residence permit and the application process. You can also find information about the different visa types and the respective application process there.

Citizens from Australia, Canada and New Zealand might enter Italy on a Working Holiday visa.
Contact your local Italian Embassy or consulate for further information.

How much pocket money will I get?

Weekly Working Hours Paid weekly? Pocket Money per week
No more than 30 hours per week Yes At least 65€

As an Au Pair in Italy, you are entitled to a weekly pocket money of no less than 65€.

Additionally, your Italian host family provides you with free board and lodge which includes that your host family make free meals and a room available for you.

An Au Pair in Italy is also entitled to at least 1 1/2 days off per week and at minimum of two weeks of paid vacation per year (/one week of paid vacation in 6 months).
Many Au Pairs use their vacation and leisure time to travel across Italy and its neighboring European countries.

Another great opportunity to spend your leisure time is to engage in an hobby or attend an Italian language course. You can meet lots of new people and make international friends there.
Keep in mind that you have to bear the costs for attending a language class yourself. You can, however, ask your host parents if they are willing to pay for part of the tuition fee and if they can help you to find a suitable course in your area.

Here more information about Au Pair pocket money in Italy.

At a Glance:

  • Weekly pocket money of at least 65€
  • Free board and lodge
  • At least 1,5 days off per week
  • At least 2 weeks of paid vacation per year
  • Possibility to attend a language course (optional)

How much does it cost to become an Au Pair?

In the course of the planning of your stay as an Au Pair in Italy, you might lose track of the costs for your stay abroad. Don't worry, we have a summary of the most important cost points below.

Keep in mind that the costs for becoming an Au Pair in Italy vary, depending on, for example, your travel expenses from your home country to Italy, whether you need a visa or not and how much the fee for your local Au Pair agency is.

At a Glance:

  • Fee for local Au Pair agency (if it applies)
  • Fee for your visa (if you need to apply for one) + additional documents (f.i. passport photograph, police record etc.)
  • Travel expenses/flight ticket
  • Gift for your host family (optional)
  • Tuition fee of your language school (if you attend a language class)
  • Monthly contribution for health insurance

What about my insurance?

Citizens of an EU country should contact their local health insurance company and ask for the "European Health Insurance Card" (EHIC). Take your EHIC with you to Italy.
Speak with your health insurance provider about the insurance's benefits in Italy and ask whether you are covered during your stay as an Au Pair in Italy.
Your local health insurance company should cover you for at least three months of your stay abroad.

If you intend to stay for more than three months in Italy, we recommend that you also inform yourself about your options for health care coverage in Italy, in addition to taking your EHIC with you.
Ask, for example, if you can register with the Italian National Health System (SSN). Ask your host family to check with their local health authority in order to find out if you are eligible to register with the National Health System.

It is always advisable to think about taking out an individual private health insurance. Local health insurance providers will provide more information on an additional health insurance for your time as an Au Pair in Italy.

Protrip-world will help you find the perfect insurance package for you so that you won't have to worry during your whole Au Pair stay!

Au Pair Blog - Share your experience!

Have you been an Au Pair in Italy yourself and would like to share your experience with us?
We would like to hear about your experiences and would appreciate it, if you shared them with us below.

Your stories about being an Au Pair in Italy are a great opportunity for future Au Pairs to learn more about a normal day of an Au Pair in Italy.

Posted in:

Leave a Reply