Would you like to find out how to become an Au Pair? You are ready to fulfill all duties and responsibilities of an Au Pair? You have informed yourself on the visa requirements of your ideal host country and made sure that you meet these?
If you answered all of the questions with 'yes' and are made sure you fulfill all Au Pair requirements, your are ready to join the Au Pair program!
In order to become an Au Pair you will need to find a Host Family before going abroad. In the following, you will find a detailed step-by-step guide on how to find your ideal Host Family both with a full-service agency and an online matching agency.
- How to Become an Au Pair with a Full-Service Agency
- 10 Steps to Become an Au Pair with an Online Matching Agency
Au Pair with a Full-Service Agency
If you choose a full-service agency, they will explain the whole application process to you and help you with questions that might occurr in the course of the process.
Contact your full-service agency so that they can send you all the necessary documents for your application.
Usually, you need to fill out an application form, hand in at least two childcare references and one character reference and write a personal letter to your future Host Family in which you introduce yourself.
Check out our 5 most important do's and don't's for writing the letter to the Host Family.
After you found a Host Family, your agency will inititate the placement and you and your Host Family will sign an Au Pair contract. After that, you can begin with gathering all the documents you need in order to apply for the visa, book a flight etc..
Au Pair with a Matching Agency
If you choose a matching agency, you need to follow these steps:
- Register online as an Au Pair
- Create an attractive profile for Host Families where you will add some pictures of yours with family, friends. Make sure you add all the important information your future Host Family should know (describe your family and your daily routine, your expectations, what you will be offering and why you would be the perfect Au Pair)
- Once your profile is activated, you can start looking at profiles from different Host Families and either send them a free request or add them to your hotlist. In both cases, Host Families will get to know you are interested and will be able to accept or deny your petition.
- If you happen to contact with a Premium Host Family who is interested, they will have the chance to send you personalised emails that you will be able to answer. Don't forget that either the Au Pair or the Host Family must have a Premium account in order to communicate through private messages.
- By becoming a Premium Member, you will get to speed the process by contacting Host Families through personalised messages and they will be able to write you back.
- After exchanging emails with your potential Host Families, we recommend you to set up a video call (Skype) in order to get to know each other and discuss about the Au Pair contract and the conditions of your future stay.
- Prepare for the telephone interview in advance. Think about what you want to ask your Host Family and, if necessary, note down the topics you want to discuss with them.
- If both parties happen to get along well and agree on the terms you can sign the Au Pair contract
- Perpare for your arrival and make sure you have all documents you will need during your Au Pair stay (visa if needed, insurance, valid personal documents, etc.)
- Enjoy the experience!
Do not forget you can still use both service at the same time. Feel free to search for a suitable Host Family by registering with AuPair.com and let a local agency process the placement!