(Last Updated On: )

You want to become an Au Pair in Spain? Here, you can find out more about being an Au Pair in Spain, visa requirements, duties, costs etc..

You will see that an Au Pair in Spain will be an extraordinary time and that you will be able to gather valuable experiences.

Au Pair in Spain - At a Glance

  • Age: Between 18 and 30 years old
  • Duration of Stay: Between 6 and 12 months
  • Working Hours: Around 30 hours per week
  • Holidays: No official regulation (we recommend one week of paid vacation per 6 months + at least 1 1/2 days off per week)
  • Travel Expenses: You travel at your own expenses
  • Insurance: Same as in your home country (European!)
  • Pocket Money: Weekly pocket money of at least 60€
  • Visa Requirements: Citizens of an EU country do not need a visa; citizens of a Non-EU country need to apply for a visa, depending on where they come from.

Can I become an Au Pair?

In order to become an Au Pair in Spain, you need to keep in mind that you have to meet certain requirements:

  • You are between 18 and 30 years old
  • You have a basic knowledge of Spanish and good knowledge of English
  • You are healthy and don't smoke
  • You are in good health
  • Driving license and experience in childcare are always a plus

What are my duties as an Au Pair?

The duties and responsibilities of an Au Pair in Spain depend to a great extent on the host family's needs and on the host family's daily routine.
Nevertheless, the main task of an Au Pair in Spain is child care. You will, mainly, be responsible for taking care of the children of your host family. Therefore, it is important that you love spending time with children. Your host children should be like a younger brother or sister to you.

Apart from childcare, an Au Pair in Spain is also responsible for minor household duties. These might include to clean up the children's room(s), do the kids' laundry and iron it, vacuum, empty or load the dishwasher or to do some light shopping.

As already mentioned above, there is no official regulation regarding the weekly working hours of an Au Pair in Spain. Get into touch with your host family in the course of the placement process and discuss your tasks and weekly working hours.
We recommend that you work around 30 hours a week.
During your working hours, your host family might also ask you to babysit on 1-2 evenings per week.

Find out more about Au Pair duties in Spain here.

Visa Requirements

In order to legally work as an Au Pair in Spain, you might need to apply for a visa prior to your departure. If you need a visa to enter Spain depends on what country you come from.
For citizens of an EU country, it is sufficient to enter Spain with their identification card or their passport. Citizens outside the EU need to apply for a visa.


How much pocket money will I get?

Working Hours per Week Paid weekly? Weekly pocket Money
Around 30 hours per week Yes Minimum of 60€

An Au Pair in Spain gets a weekly pocket money of at least 60€.
In addition to your pocket money, your host family provides your with free board and lodge, meaning that they provide a room for your and meals free of charge.
As your host family provides your with free board and lodge, you are free to spend your pocket money for traveling across the country and around Europe, or, on other leisure time activities.

An Au Pair in Spain is entitled to at least one day off per week and, in addition to that, we suggest a paid vacation of two weeks per year.

Most host families also give their Au Pair the opportunity to attend a Spanish course.
The Au Pair needs to bear the costs of the language course and the travel expenses to and from the language course itself.

Since many host family's in Spain want their children to learn English from early childhood on, they usually ask their Au Pairs to also speak English with the children. A Spanish course is a great opportunity to still improve your language skills and meet new people.

But don't worry, even if your host family asks you to mostly speak English with your host children, you will still improve your Spanish skills enormously as you will talk to your host parents in Spanish and you will hear it on a daily basis in your everyday life.

Click here for ore about Au Pair pocket money in Spain.

What about the insurance?

An Au Pair in Spain cannot be registered with the national insurance scheme in Spain.

If you are a citizen of an EU country, your local health insurance company will cover you for the first three months of your stay abroad. Get into touch with your local health insurance so that they can send you the "European Health Insurance Card" (EHIC).

If you intend to stay in Spain for a longer period than three months the EHIC will insure you in the case of a serious illness, accident or maternity. To make use of the benefits you need to ask your local health insurance company to send you an S1 Form and fill in the form prior to your departure.
Once you arrived in Spain you need to take the filled in form to the Seguridad Social in order to get it stamped.
After this you will receive a card from the Seguridad SocialThis card entitles you to primary health care at a medical center.

Alternatively, you can take out an individual private health and accident insurance.

Citizens of a non-EU country need to take out private health insurance (if your home country has not signed a bilateral healthcare agreement with Spain).
You do not need to bear the health insurance fees all by yourself as Spain has signed the European Agreement on Au Pair Placement, meaning that Au Pairs in Spain and their Spanish host families split the fees of the private health insurance contribution.

Protrip-world will help you find the perfect insurance package for you so that you won't have to worry during your whole Au Pair stay!

This post is also available in: German