(Last Updated On: )

Become an au pair in Sweden and enjoy an amazing experience in the land of the northern lights. You will have the opportunity to experience the Swedish lifestyle and get to learn or improve your language skills, so in case you are considering to become an au pair in Sweden, we'll provide you with all the important information on the program.

Au Pair in Sweden - At a Glance

  • Age: 18-30
  • Working Hours: a maximum of 25 hours/week
  • Pocket Money: 3500 SEK/month
  • Travel Expenses: Paid by the au pair
  • Insurance: If you come from an EU country  you can apply for the European Health Insurance Card in your country. Together with your EHIC, we recommend you to make sure you will have a liability and accident insurance valid for the whole stay.
    If you aren't from any of the EU countries,  you will need to get a private health, accident and liability insurance.
  • Visa Requirements: If you are not from an EU country, a visa will be required for your au pair stay.

Can I become an au pair in Sweden?

If you would like to work as an au pair in Sweden, make sure you fulfill all requirements:

  • You are 18 to 30 years old
  • You are healthy and a non-smoker
  • You speak Swedish and can prove your interest in the country
  • experience in childcare

What are my duties as an au pair?

As an au pair your main repsonsabilities will be taking care of children and doing some light household duties. Also, some of the au pairs have to talk to the children in their mother tongue so the kids can learn a new language.

Visa requirements 

If you are not an EU citizen, you will be required to have a visa for Sweden. To apply for your visa, you will have to contact the Swedish embassy placed in your home country and apply for it. Make sure you inform yourself about the requirements and documents you will need.


How much pocket money will I get?

Au Pairs in Sweden earn around 3500 SEK per month but both your pocket money amount and your working hours will depend on the Host Family you live with.

What about my insurance?

EU au pairs need to request the European Health Insurance Card in their home country so that they can get medical treatments in Sweden. You should still get an additional insurance, since it depends on the home country and the host country which treatments will be covered.

Non-EU au pairs need to get a private health, accident and liability insurance. There are special au pair insurances by different companies. 

This post is also available in: German