(Last Updated On: )

Have you ever imagined how it would be like to become an Au Pair in Belgium? Living your Au Pair adventure in a country like Belgium will give you the opportunity to learn more than one language and discover the country's culture background.

Depending on the part of the country you live, you will be able to improve your Dutch, your French or your German. So don't miss the opportunity to find your Host Family now!

Au Pair in Belgium - At a Glance

  • Age: 18-25 years old
  • Working Hours: a maximum of 20 hours/week
  • Pocket Money: 450 euro/month
  • Travel Expenses: paid by the Au Pair
  • Insurance: au pairs that are Eu citizens can apply for the European Health Insurance Card in their residence country. We also recommend the au pair to close a liability and accident insurance valid for the whole stay.
    If the Au Pair is not from an EU country, au pair and host family will share the costs of a health, accident and liability insurance.
  • Visa Requirements: only au pairs from non-EU countries need to apply for a visa and a work permit.

Can I become an Au Pair in Belgium?

If you would like to work as an Au Pair in Belgium, make sure you fulfill all requirements:

  • You are between 18 and 25 years old
  • good health and non-smoker
  • knowledge of French, German, Dutch or English
  • experience in childcare

What are my duties as an Au Pair?

Your main repsonsabilities are taking care of the children and tasks that are connected to them, just like cleaning up their room and doing their laundry.

Visa requirements 

If you need a visa it will be valid as long as you are staying with a host family. To apply for a visa, you need to contact the Belgian embassy  in your home country to get appointment for the application.

Depending on the country you are from you will be required to have a language certificate or prove your language skills.


How much pocket money will I get?

The amount of pocket money depends on your Host Family, but as an Au Pair in Belgium you can count on an amount of 450 euro per month.

What about my insurance?

Au Pairs from the European Union need to request the European Health Insurance Card in their home country to get medical treatments. You should get an additional insurance though.

Non-EU au pairs need a private health, accident and liability insurance and its costs will be equally splitted between you and the family.


This post is also available in: German